Hidalgo County DWI Lawyer
Aggressive Defense Against DWI/DUI Charges in Texas
Police officers and highway patrolmen throughout Texas are vigilant for motorists who might be intoxicated. If an officer pulls you over, you could be arrested for a DWI or a DUI charge. Our Hidalgo County DWI lawyer can provide diligent and dedicated legal representation throughout your case.
When you've been pulled over, benefit from devoted representation that is:
- Hands-on with all our cases
- Compassionate and understanding counsel
- Certified Forensic Lawyer-Scientist
- Brings hope in the midst of a traumatic experience
DWI/DUI Laws in Texas
In Texas, it is illegal to operate a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. This includes driving while intoxicated (DWI) and driving under the influence (DUI). The state has strict laws to deter people from operating a vehicle while impaired and punish those caught breaking the law. If you are stopped by the police and found to have a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08 or higher, you can be arrested and charged with a DWI or DUI. It's important to note that even if your BAC is below 0.08, you can still be charged with a DWI or DUI if the officer believes you are impaired by drugs or alcohol. Penalties for a DWI or DUI in Texas can include jail time, fines, and the suspension or revocation of your driver's license. If you have been charged with a DWI or DUI in Texas, it is essential to seek the advice of a skilled criminal defense attorney who can help you understand your legal options and defend your rights.
DWI/DUI Penalties in Texas
Driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving under the influence (DUI) is a serious crime in Texas. If you are convicted of a DWI or DUI, you may face significant legal consequences, including fines, jail time, and losing your driver's license.
- Up to 180-days in jail
- Up to $2,000 in fines
- 1-year driver's license suspension
- Up to 1 year in jail
- Up to $4,000 in fines
- 2-year driver's license suspension
- Ignition interlock device
- Up to 10 years in prison
- Up to $10,000 in fines
- 2-year driver's license suspension
- Ignition interlock device
It is important to note that these penalties can be enhanced if certain aggravating factors are present, such as a high blood alcohol concentration (BAC) or an accident resulting in injury or death.
If you have been charged with a DWI in Texas, it is essential to seek the help of an experienced criminal defense attorney. An attorney can help you understand your legal options and defend your rights in court.
Field Sobriety Tests
The Standardized Field Sobriety Test (SFST) is made of 3 individual tests:
- Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus (HGN) test - For this test, the officer will move a pen back and forth and observe your eyes to look for signs that you are impaired.
- Walk-and-turn test - For this test, you will have to take about nine steps in a straight line and then return back.
- One-leg stand test - For this test, you will have to stand with one foot off the ground and hold it until told to put it down.
While performing these tests, the officer is looking for indicators that you are under the influence of alcohol or drugs, such as being unable to keep your balance or not following the instructions properly.
Do I need a lawyer for a DUI in Texas?
Yes, it is highly advisable to seek legal representation from an experienced Hidalgo County DUI attorney if you are facing a DUI charge in Texas. DUI charges can have serious and long-lasting consequences, so having a lawyer can significantly impact the outcome of your case. Here's why you need an experienced Hidalgo County DUI lawyer:
- Understanding of Texas DUI Laws: DUI laws can be complex and vary from state to state. Our experienced DUI attorney understands Texas' specific laws and how they apply to your case. We can guide you through the legal process and explain the potential implications of the charges you are facing.
- Building a Strong Defense: Our skilled DUI lawyer knows how to build a strong defense tailored to the details of your case. We will examine the evidence against you, assess law enforcement procedures, and identify any weaknesses or errors that can be used in your defense.
- Negotiating with Prosecution: Our Hidalgo County DUI attorneys are skilled negotiators. We can work with the prosecution to potentially reduce charges, secure a plea deal, or propose alternative sentencing options that may lessen the impact of the charges on your life.
- Courtroom Representation: If your case goes to trial, a DUI attorney will represent you in court. We're well-versed in trial procedures and can present a compelling defense, cross-examine witnesses, and argue on your behalf.
- Minimizing Penalties: A DUI conviction can result in significant penalties, including fines, license suspension, ignition interlock device installation, probation, and even jail time. We can work to minimize these penalties or explore alternative sentencing options, especially if it's a first offense or there are mitigating circumstances.
Given the potential consequences of a DUI conviction, it's crucial to consult with an experienced Hidalgo County DUI attorney to understand your rights, potential defenses, and the best strategy to navigate the legal process effectively.
Contact Our DWI/DUI Attorney Today
Due to the wide range of factors involved with driving while intoxicated or driving under the influence case, having a Mission DUI lawyer who is knowledgeable can provide necessary insight to you and your case. Having Attorney Flores's representation can provide you with:
- Specific and focused attention to your case
- Effective and dedicated legal counsel
- An understanding of the criminal justice system
- A Mission DWI/DUI attorney who works with YOU throughout your case
Contact The Law Office of Rene A. Flores PLLC today to schedule a FREE phone consultation with our DWI lawyer in Hidalgo County!
Frequently Asked DUI Questions
If you have been arrested for DUI/DWI, it can be incredibly nerve-wracking and stressful. You may have a number of questions on your mind, such as who you can trust and what you can do to protect your rights. At The Law Office of Rene A. Flores PLLC, we are here to ensure you are aware of your rights and to answer all of your questions.
What Should I Do if I am Pulled Over?
If you are pulled over, it is very important that you remain calm and polite, but don't information outside of the basis of your stop. If they ask you questions about whether you have been drinking or anything else to do with a potential criminal charge, exercise your right to remain silent.
Do I Have to Take a Breathalyzer?
No, you do not need to submit to a breathalyzer or blood test to determine your BAC at the time of the arrest. If you do refuse to submit to chemical testing, you may find yourself facing a blood warrant or stricter drivers license penalties.
Do I Have to Agree to a Field Test?
No, you do not have to submit to field tests, regardless of the circumstances during your arrest. Any evidence collected from these tests can be used to convict you.
Could I Be Charged with a DWI/DUI if My BAC Level Was Below 0.08?
You could be charged with a DWI or DUI even if test results reveal you had a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) below 0.08. Under Texas Penal Code § 49.01, “intoxicated” is defined as having an amount of alcohol and/or drugs in the system that impairs a person’s normal physical or mental faculties.
Why Should I Hire a Mission DUI Attorney?
It is important that you have representation on your side after you have been arrested for DUI. Our Hidalgo County DWI attorney and team members are ready to represent you against the charges you are facing and ensure your rights are protected.
What Penalties Could I Face?
The exact penalties for a DWI/DUI conviction depend on the details of the arrest, as well as whether you have previous arrests. Law enforcement members are typically harsher on those who have a record. Possible punishments could include a driver’s license suspension or revocation, jail time, fines, and a permanent mark on your criminal record. If you were caught driving with a child in the car or with BAC of 0.15 or more, you could face harsher charges and penalties. These consequences could affect your future, such as the ability to get a job.
Contact The Law Office of Rene A. Flores PLLC today to meet with our DWI Lawyer!
Rene Flores is one of the best Attorneys hands down.
He took the case to trial, fought hard, never gave up, and beat my case.- Mark V.
His loyalty and dedication to his clients is unmatched.
If you're in need of his services, I would 100% recommend Rene Flores as your attorney.- Carlos M.
I’m very satisfied with the help/work that they have shown me, they are nice people to get to know. They treat you with respect and help you with all your problems as a Law attorney. I rate Mr.Flores and his team 5 stars, if I could it would be more stars- Abel hernandez
Client SatisfactionOur firm's #1 priority is that each and every client is satisfied with the representation we provided them.
Communication Every Step of the WayAttorney Rene A. Flores is there for you. He answers your calls, meets with you personally and guides you through every step of your case.
Unique ExperienceAttorney Flores grew up in the courthouse. From Deputy Clerk, to Assistant Court Coordinator, to City Prosecutor, he has committed himself to the judicial system and to fighting for what is right.
Community OrientedWhen you work with our firm, you're working with a team who is dedicated to serving the local community and giving back with public service.